Hummus & Zucchini Pizza


I have a lot of weird quirks when it comes to popular food items.  For instance, I don't like ketchup.  I'm not repulsed by it and if I HAD to eat it I would, but it's definitely not my go-to condiment.  On a similar note, I know so many people who can eat pizza any ol' time… I, on the other hand, have to be in the mood for pizza and that is a pretty rare occurrence.  Of course when I come across something completely out of the box, even the likes of pizza sounds amazing!  Which is exactly what happened when I came across the F&W recipe for Hummus & Zucchini Pizza.  I didn't even THINK hummus can be used as the sauce! (Generally my reservation with pizza has to do with the tomato sauce, not a big fan).  I was a bit skeptical about how this would turn out, but this had to be the most delicious pizza I've ever had!

Here's my edited version of the F&W recipe:



Hummus & Zucchini Pizza
Prep time: 15 minutes  |  Baking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 people comfortably

Ingredients:
  • 2 Whole Wheat Pizza Crusts (if you only have dough, follow the F&W recipe above)
  • 1 Package of Spicy Hummus (7 Ounce)
  • 3 Medium Zucchinis, round slices (1 1/2 lbs or so) 
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup & 3 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the garlic and 3 Tbsp of olive oil together.
  3. Add the zucchini slices to the bowl and add salt & pepper to taste.  Toss until slices are coated with oil & seasonings.
  4. In a large skillet on high heat, add the zucchini & minced garlic and cook until the zucchini slices are golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side of the slices).  Do this in batches to ensure all the slices get somewhat browned. 
  5. In a small bowl add the 1/4 cup of oil & mix in the hummus well together.
  6. Take about a 1/4 cup of the hummus mixture and spread on top of the pizza crust with a spatula (1/4 cup of the hummus mixture per pizza crust)
  7. Place the zucchini slices & cooked garlic bits on top of the pizza crust
  8. Place one pizza crust directly on top of the wire racks in the oven for 10 minutes (check frequently to make sure the crust is cooking well and that it's not under/over done).  Remove from oven when the pizza has sufficiently baked.
  9. Repeat with the second pizza crust.  
  10. Apply remaining hummus mixture on top of the pizzas.
  11. Serve immediately!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.