First post & a dreamy creamy dish

Its good to be back in the blogging world! The big move to Charlotte, a new house and a new career has left me with very little time to blog. But its good to have a sis who can motivate you to keep up with her. First off I gotta give props to her for baking. I am truly mortified of baking. I agree with Swats, baking is a true science. I have burned something as simple as pre made nestle toll house cookies :o( One of these days I will Carpe Diem and bake up a storm. Until then I want to share some fun recipes I will be trying out.
I had an extra cauliflower sitting in my fridge. I could have made our usual Cauliflower pea and tomato bhaji but I wanted to try something non Indian. I am huge fan of the recipes on the Williams and Sonoma site and found one for "Creamy cauliflower and potato gratin" Bhatji is still my official taster and he loved this new recipe that I made. Here is the recipe (adapted from williams and Sonoma website)
"

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 5 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1 small head cauliflower, separated into florets
  • 4 red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced(I used a mandoline)
  • 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs(I used stale bread to make homemade crumbs)

Directions:

Cook the cauliflower Preheat an oven to 400ºF. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. In a saucepan over high heat, combine the cream, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, add the cauliflower, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the cauliflower is just tender and the sauce has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the garlic and thyme and discard.
Assemble and bake the gratin Layer the potatoes in the prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup each of the Gruyère and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cauliflower from the sauce and arrange in the dish. Top with the remaining cheeses. Pour the sauce evenly over the vegetables and sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Bake until the potatoes are just tender and the top is golden brown about 25 minutes.


Keep in mind that I am not a good photographer like my sis but I hope the pic does justice to the yumminess on that plate!! I think we have left overs....gotta get to it before Bhatji :o) Try this recipe out and enjoy!

1 comment: Leave Your Comments

  1. YUMM!!! This looks deeeeelish Anu!!! And your photog skills are fine :) Maybe we should make a pact to take a digital photo workshop/class each. I need to learn some new things too!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.